BRUSHES: Trekell brand
• Bristle Filbert # 2 (at least 3 brushes)
• Bristle Filbert # 4 (at least 3 brushes)
• Red Sable Round 5500 Series # 6 (at least 3 brushes)
• Golden Taklon Cat’s Tongue 2560 Series # 6 (at least 2 brushes)
• Legion Round 9100R Series # 6 (at least 2 brushes)
• Odorless mineral spirits in brush cleaner container with lid.
• Oleogel (Rublev)
• Viva Paper towels (least 1 roll). – Viva is a Kleenex brand and is recommended.
Large palette: 16×20 in. – 18×24 in.
• Wooden palette preferred, treated to prevent paint absorption from the oils in the paints. To treat, apply a coat of regular or quick-dry polyurethane. Let dry, sand lightly. Apply additional coats if necessary.
CANVAS OR PANEL SUPPORTS
• You will need one 12×16 in. canvas for study and two larger canvases -16×20 in. or 18×24 in. – for final painting. All canvases should be toned raw umber. Alkyd Oil toning on oil primed supports may be desirable for the one or two longer poses.
• Permanent Rose (Windsor and Newton)
• Burnt Sienna (Windsor and Newton)
• Yellow Ochre Deep (Michael Harding)
• Cadmium Yellow Light (Windsor and Newton)
• Titanium White (Windsor and Newton)
• Cadmium Red Light (Windsor and Newton)
• Phthalo Green (Gamblin)
• Ultramarine Blue (Windsor and Newton)
These are the colors on the instructor’s palette. It is not necessary to purchase all these colors. Students may use the palette they are already using at home, pick from this list to add to their current palette or purchase all the colors on this list. Teacher may make recommendations of colors to add to your palette during the class.
Daniel Bilmes is an artist in the classic figurative genre, whose paintings are noted for their elegance, refinement and serene humanism.
Daniel is the recipient of the Grand Prize, in the “2011 Utrecht / American Artist Magazine Competition”, and has recently been awarded the “Portrait Merit Award” in this year’s Salon International.
Daniel’s work has been influenced by such masters as Rafael, Repin and Rembrandt, but the artist he most admires is his father and teacher, Semyon Bilmes.
Daniel began his artistic education at the age of eight under Semyon’s tutelage. At the age of 15 he became an instructor at the Ashland Academy of Art, where he taught for 6 years.
His work aims to capture the character of his subject in the most sensitive and truthful way possible. He achieves this by digging ever deeper into the human experience, looking for hidden insights, bringing them into significance and onto the canvas.
REGISTRATIONS & PAYMENT PLANS
Students must be paid in full prior to the first day of class when enrolled in an Extension Course or Workshop, except those with a payment plan agreement. Please visit the Main Office at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the class, to complete any pending registration issues.
Payment Plans: A 3% Payment Plan Fee will be assessed, with a maximum charge of $35. The Payment Plan Fee, $20 Registration Fee, plus 50% of the total tuition owing must be paid on or before the first day of class. The remaining 50% of the tuition can be paid with a post-dated check (dated 1 month later) or with a signed Credit Card Authorization Form.
There is a $35.00 fee for all checks returned as N.S.F. (Non-Sufficient Funds).
COURSE CHANGES OR CANCELLATIONS
LAAFA reserves the right to cancel any class, limit class size, change class times or substitute instructors for those listed in the schedule.
If a class is cancelled, students will be issued a full refund or may transfer with no fee to another class.
If an instructor must leave after a term has begun, and no suitable substitute is available, the student will be refunded a pro-rated amount.
REFUNDS & TRANSFERS
All classes, uninstructed workshops, Visiting Artist Workshops and artist demonstrations are non-refundable. You may request to drop for credit (see next paragraph) or transfer into another class.
You have two weeks to evaluate each class and decide whether you want to drop for credit (a dollar amount calculated based on the receipt of request) or transfer into a new class. Requests must be submitted before the start of the third session, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A $25 Drop/Transfer Fee is assessed. Credit will be valid for a full year and is non-refundable. It can be applied toward any Extension Course, Workshop or Visiting Artist Event at LAAFA.
All artist demonstrations are non-refundable and non-transferable.
ABSENCES & MAKE-UPS
One free make-up session is allowed per quarter, per class. Please email us at email@example.com, at least 3 days in advance, with the course and date you wish to attend as a make-up. Make-up sessions aren’t transferable to future quarters.
- If you arrive late, please enter quietly. If you have equipment to set up, please wait for a break to set up so that you do not disrupt the class.
- The front row of benches is reserved for sitting individuals.
- Economize your workspace to accommodate fellow artists.
- Please refrain from talking to the models while they are posing. Photography is not allowed without the express permission of the model. The model may require a photography fee.
- Please refrain from personal discussions while class is in session. Be sure to switch cell phone ringers OFF.
- Don’t comment on others’ work unless it is solicited.
- Animals are not permitted, with the exception of assistance dogs for the disabled.
- Please clean up your work area and properly dispose of your waste after class. Use the Brush Cleaning Closet, not the bathroom sinks, to clean your hands, paintbrushes and other art tools.
- No Turpentine or smelly solvents and mediums are allowed. Odorless Mineral Spirits is preferred.
- There will only be 18 spots allowed in the workshops. Entry in the workshop is on a first come, first served basis. We do not accept reservations. Students paying on a per-day basis will be admitted at the start time of the workshop if space is available.
- Please note that all students must pay prior to the start of each workshop or class when paying on a per-day basis, and prior to entering the workshop to set up.
- A monitor appointed by LAAFA will set up all uninstructed workshops. Once the pose is set, there will be no changes.
- Any suggestions or comments, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.