The Los Angeles Academy of Figurative Art looks for prospective students who demonstrate a passion for art, a potential for growth, a strong desire to learn, and a serious commitment to become a professional artist. If you have basic skills in art, the desire to be a well-trained/knowledgeable artist, and possess the willingness to immerse yourself in an intensive course of study, then you will be an excellent candidate for LAAFA.
LAAFA operates on a rolling admissions basis. Applicants who are accepted into the program must submit a $250 registration fee by July 1st for priority status to be applied towards their first quarter tuition. Although LAAFA operates on a rolling admissions basis, applications received after the priority date will be considered on a space-available basis.
ALL classes at LAAFA are taught in English. Applicants must be conversant in English.
Admissions Application Form
Admission Requirements for the certificate non-degree seeking student is the same as for the BFA student. Submit your application online, by mail or in person. International students must submit additional documentation.
All applicants must submit the following:
- A completed application form (see above).
- A Portfolio containing no more than ten and no less than five of your most recent and best works of art.
- A Required Drawing – Applicants must complete 1 drawing of a glass cup and an egg on 18”x24” white paper. The drawing must be done in charcoal or graphite. It may be any glass cup or egg of your choosing. We are looking for quality of execution and innovative concepts.
- Two Letters of Recommendation.
- A one to two page Admission Essay or Personal Statement.
- Official Transcripts for high school and all college courses completed. Include listings of all coursework in progress. A certified English translation of all academic records’ conversion to the U.S. quarter unit system is required.
- A non-refundable $100 Application Fee. The $100 application fee (and for international applicants, an additional $100 Visa Application Processing Fee) may be paid by check, credit card or by calling LAAFA at 818-708-9232. You can pay by credit card: Fall 2013.
Applications can not be considered without all required materials. You can submit all documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upon receipt of all required documents, the portfolio review process will begin:
Instructor Portfolio Review
The portfolio reviews at LAAFA are conducted by our full-time program faculty. A copy of the faculty reviews will be kept in the student’s file. If the applicant does not have the basic skills to enter our program, he/she will be directed to attend one or more of our Extension Program course offerings (or to study like courses at a school of similar quality) with the option to reapply at a later date.
Upon the completion of the prospective student’s portfolio review, LAAFA will notify the student of their acceptance or denial.
Transfer credit for general education courses may be accepted from colleges or universities that are accredited by Western (WASC) or National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). Transfer credits will only be accepted for those classes with which the student received a grade of “C” or above.
International transfer credits are considered on a case-by-case basis. International students must provide an English translation of their foreign transcripts and evaluations of the transcripts into the American quarter unit system. International college documents must be evaluated and translated by WES and will be evaluated on an individual basis.
LAAFA does not accept Art History credits from any other institution. Studio credits are transferred at the discretion of the admission review committee. We feel that our program is unique. It is important to follow our studio program curriculum in its entirety.
Are LAAFA’s credits transferable to another college?
Each individual college has the right to either accept or reject credits from any other college. Once a student is done with their studies at LAAFA and if they wish to attend another college, we will, on behalf of the student, attempt to articulate an agreement with their school of choice. Please be aware that we cannot guarantee any student’s admission or credit transfer into another college.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Class size determines starting quarter.
|Start Date||September 30, 2013|
|Payment Deadline||August 30, 2013|
Applications received are considered on a space-available basis.
Los Angeles Academy of Figurative Art
16926 Saticoy Street
Van Nuys, CA 91406