LAAFA provides its students with the skills and education necessary in order to prepare them for today’s complex and changing job market. The professional experience of LAAFA’s faculty and staff is highly beneficial to the student’s direction at the time of graduation.
Our students consistently receive essential professional and career guidance in the following ways:
- Students are able to submit their resume to LAAFA to be dispersed for internships and job opportunities in their desired field.
- Assisting and assessing students cover letter/resume/portfolio – Students have the opportunity to receive tips and feedback in the preparation of these documents.
- Career Advising – Students can request a meeting with the faculty chair or a specific faculty member to discuss their individual career goals.
- LAAFA’s faculty and/or visiting instructors give workshops on career-development oriented topics.
- Artists Studio Visits – Los Angeles is home to many truly great artists. LAAFA offers our students the chance to meet and see how successful artists work on a daily basis. Not only do we visit successful gallery painters, but we also visit animation houses and design studios in an attempt to show our students the way forward from graduation on.
- Students are offered career development courses such as “Business of Art” and “Portfolio & Website Presentation” as part of their curriculum.
- Faculty participates in portfolio evaluations at the end of each quarter, providing critique, guidance and professional advice.
Career Central (Jobs, Résumé Builder and Portfolios)
Register here to use the services. Once registered, you may:
- Search for jobs posted exclusively to Los Angeles Academy of Figurative Art; search the Jobs Central® national job board and the Intern Central® national internship board.
- Build a résumé with Résumé Builder, or upload a résumé file to Resume Central® so it can be searched by employers (if you so authorize).
- Review your job search history. Report offers/hires.
- Receive emails about programs, services and job-related topics.
- Gain access to announcements, upcoming events, career advice documents, career advice videos, podcasts, and career articles from over 125 authors.
- Manage your on-campus interview schedules.
- Build an online portfolio in Career Portfolio Central® to support your résumé and demonstrate your best work to employers.
We strive to continuously provide our students with opportunities in their chosen career path. Below is a partial list of connection with studios and galleries:
- Cartoon Network Studios
- Blue Sky Studios
- Rhythm & Hues Studios
- Suspended Animation Gallery
- Walt Disney Animation Studios
- DreamWorks Animation
- American Legacy Fine Arts
- Radium – Reel FX
- Sony Pictures Animation
- Morseburg Galleries
- Sony Pictures Imageworks
- Fringe Talent
- Gallery Nucleus
- Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd.
- California Art Club
- Studio Arts
- Titmouse, Inc.
- Gallery 9
- James Gray Gallery