This workshop will be an instructive overview of the materials, techniques, and concepts for successful portrait drawing, it will include:
- The fundamentals of constructing the head with the values of light and shadow.
- Principles for creating the illusion of space and volume on a 2 dimensional drawing surface.
- Ideas for portrait composition and creating a likeness.
- Techniques and tips on materials and the drawing process.
- Instructor demonstration from a live model.
- Student drawing time from a live model with instructor feedback.
- Charcoal pencils (ritmo b and 3b are recommended)
- Soft compressed charcoal (alphacolor char-kole and cretacolor chunky charcoal are recommended)
- Kneaded eraser
- Pen eraser (eraser stick)
- Newsprint drawing pad 14”x17” or 18”x24” (your choice of smooth or rough paper) or Rives lightweight drawing paper (this is expensive but is what I will be demonstrating with)
- Clip board for the drawing pad
- Tracing paper pad 12”x16” (if you prefer instructor corrections on tracing paper)
Nathan Fowkes is a veteran entertainment and fine artist and has been a popular teacher of drawing, painting, color and design for the past decade. He attended the Art Center College of Design where he studied traditional painting and entertainment design and graduated with honors.
Nathan is currently a visual development artist at DreamWorks with screen credits including The Prince of Egypt, Spirit, Shark Tale, several projects within the Shrek Universe and How to Train Your Dragon.